Eating Disorders Awareness Week

This week  is Eating Disorders Awareness Week. As many of you will already know (especially those doing Eating behaviours at A2), eating disorders are a serious, life-threatening problem in the UK. 1.6 million people here are affected and there are more fatalities from this condition than any other mental illness.

AN is the most well known eating disorder, but actually AN makes up 10% of sufferers; the other 90% is people suffering bulimia and ‘Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified’: emotional overeating, for example (source: www.b-eat.co.uk).

800px-Rainbow_Toe_Sock_Challenge

Beat, a charity behind Eating Disorders Awareness Week, says that a big problem in dealing with eating disorders is that awareness is too low, hence their campaign to Sock it to eating disorders. For more on their work and the campaign, which involves wearing your silliest socks, visit their website.

 

Leave a Reply